The South African based Raptor team is led by Pierre Gouws with each member flying the RV7 or RV8 variant of the Van’s aircraft.
Primarily a 6-ship formation team, this dynamic team are regulars in the skies above South Africa, producing some of the most thrilling displays and providing a memorable introduction to those who have not witnessed their expertise before.
|Pierre Gouws (Team Leader)
Pierre has led The Raptor team since January 2015 but prior experience in formation flying also includes that of formation leader for an L39 (4-ship) aerobatic team, a T28 (3-ship) aerobatic team and a Harvard (4-ship) aerobatic team.
An Airline captain with South African Airways, Pierre flies the A340/A330 and has in excess of 19,300 hours logged.
Pierre has been display flying for the last twenty two years and during such time, his display ratings include: A320, B737, L39, T28, Harvard, Extra 300, RV series, Yak 52 and Yak 18.
• Airline pilot for SAA for last 13 years.
• Currently flying as First Officer on A330 and A340.
• Total hours 13,500
• Flying formation aerobatics for 5 years
• Display rated on the T6 Harvard, T28 Trojan and Boeing Stearman
• Flown #2 position in a 3-ship Harvard display team
• Flies an RV8 in the #3 position for the Raptors
• Founder and CEO of Secure A Tag, a private security company in SA
• PPL with 1500 hours
• Started flying 2009
• Started Formation Flying 2013
• 900 Hours on RV7 in 4 years
• Flies an RV7 in the #2 position for the Raptors
• Training Captain on A320 with South African Airways with 15,500 hours
• Designated Examiner for both the Airline and General Aviation
• Type rated on over 50 types
• Built own RV 7
• Won the RV class in the 2009 SA National Aerobatics competition
• Have been involved in display flying in the RV 7 for 4 years
• Have been involved in the Raptor Aerobatic Display team for 2 years
• Flies an RV7 in the #4 position for the Raptors